Monday, April 10, 2006

Real Estate Agents

I'm going to look at some houses today or tomorrow with a couple of Real Estate agents. I'm debating whether or not I should hire them. They both seem like nice ladies and I would guess they are not crooked but I am still a little leery about inking them because I don't know what to look for in a Real Estate agent. Basically, all I am looking for in a house is a good value. Something that will someday make me some money. I go look at houses with these ladies and they keep saying things like "oh, I see you really like knobby pine" or "so, you don't like shotgun style ranches". LADY, I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THOSE THINGS ARE! What am I suppose to be looking for in a Real Estate person?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I am gonna have to bookmark this site. Lots of questions but no answers...

First, I am an agent in PA. Been doing this job for about 18 months and really enjoy it. If I was looking for an agent, here is what I would consider...

First, do I like this person? You need to get along well with your agent. The closer the personality match the better they may understand your needs and wants. Plus, you will be spending quite a bit of time with that person. It should be enjoyable as well as productive.

Next, can I trust him/her? You will not be able to answer this until you know them. Spend some time sitting and talking, as well as viewing houses. Consider that you are hiring an agent like you hire an attorney, doctor, or financial advisor. Seek out references from others who will attest to a prospective agent's loyalty and professionalism.

Consider energy level. You want an aggressive agent who will call you at 10 pm because they are still working and just found the home you were looking for. A good agent will be expertly juggling clients and have several in all stages of the purchasing process.

Finally, consider their insight and experience. With 18 months experience I continue to learn things everyday about the inner workings of the real estate market, including tax law, financing, zoning, etc. I rely on more experienced agents for advice and, all other things being equal, you should too.

In summary, when you hire an agent you are hiring a business partner. If the two old ladies who don't speak your language match your idea of a partner in your search for a home, sign 'em up. Otherwise, find someone who does.

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home